Last year when we moved into our new house the lemon tree in our yard was overflowing with lemons. So I went on a mission to find some of the best lemon desserts and treats. I was surprised to find how many things I could make, but one of my favorite recipes was this lemon crinkle cookie recipe.
My neighbor shared this recipe with me and I could not believe how addicting and delicious these cookies were. And neither could my husband. I think we went through about three batches in two weeks. They are the kind of cookie that is light and soft, so you can totally justify eating two or three at a time.
The best thing about this recipe is that the ingredients are simple and you probably already have everything in your pantry. And if you’re lucky like me, you have a lemon tree in your yard so you REALLY don’t need to buy anything special.
In order to achieve the soft texture of these cookies, make sure you use room temperature butter and eggs. I didn’t one time because I was in a rush and they didn’t turn out the same. Still tasty, but not as good.
Also, it’s super important to sift the powdered sugar so that it sticks better to the wet dough. I’m sharing this because of trial and error friends. It makes a difference.
I wanted to note too that you can add more zest and lemon juice to the batter. What I have below is the minimum measurement. I think the more the better so you can really taste the lemon. Like the last batch I made I used like 4 teaspoons of lemon juice!!
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
3 teaspoons lemon zest (from about 3 lemons)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice or extract (add more at your preference)
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl (baking p, salt, flour)
- In mixer, add lemon zest & sugar. Mix until sugar is moist and fragrant.
- Then add butter and mix on medium until light & fluffy about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time. Beating well in between addition.
- Add lemon juice & vanilla mix until combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients over low speed. Making sure to stop occasionally to scrape bottom and sides.
- Make cookie dough balls about a tablespoon. Toss in the confectioners’ sugar and place on sheet.
- Bake for about 12 minutes.
- Betcha can’t eat just one!!! Enjoy!
Yields 18-24 cookies.