Hi friends! First, take a deep breath and don’t panic. Second, read below if you’re worried that your breast milk supply is decreasing because I’m sharing some easy ways to increase your breast milk supply! I know how scary it can feel to think your milk is drying up, but I promise if you do any of the methods below you will see an increase in your production.
Last week I was feeling concerned that my milk supply was decreasing again because Kensley seemed to be pretty fussy at the breast. And unfortunately because I exclusively breastfeed, there is no real way for me to tell if it is decreasing or not. It turned out that Kensley was just finally cutting her first tooth and as a result was just nursing more than usual, but typical Laura…I tend to panic at the first sign of anything, even when I don’t know for sure anything is happening (something my husband thinks I need to start working on lol).
I had posted my concern on my Instagram story and received an overwhelming amount of support from my followers and a few friends about how to increase my supply. I thought I would share with you all some of these recommendations I learned and some that I also knew about from previously going through a drop in supply. I’ll let you know specifically which ones worked for me and which I haven’t tried.
- Mother’s Milk Tea – Okay, this stuff doesn’t taste the best, but I was gifted some from my neighbor and is what I use every time I feel any sign that my supply is low. Just add sugar. Looooots of sugar, lol! Only downfall with this method is you supposedly need to drink a lot of it to work. I would maybe suggest using the tea + an additional method in this list just to be safe.
- Brewer’s Yeast – This is my favorite stuff to use when I need a boost in supply. Just a little goes a long way. You can buy this in powdered form or pill form. I’ve never taken it in pill form, but I use the powdered form in baking recipes. Lactation cookie recipe coming soon!!! The cookies are great for the early days too when you’re nursing all day and need a little pick me up. The cookie recipe I use also has some other ingredients that help with supply.
- Oatmeal – I always forget about this one! I’m sure you have this in your cabinet so it’s the easiest way to get your supply back on track. If you’re like me, oatmeal texture is gross, so I add oatmeal to smoothies. My favorite is greek yogurt, milk, oatmeal, bananas, and blueberries.
- Basil + Fennel Essential Oils – This was a new method I hadn’t heard of until recently when an oil mama recommended it to me. You do not need a carrier oil for this, just use one drop of each and massage into each breast. Let me know if this method works for you 🙂
- Drink More Water – You should be drinking lots of water everyday anyways, but sometimes I forget to keep up with my water intake. If you’re feeling empty, then I would start pounding the water.
- Fenugreek – Another method I have not tried. Early on in my nursing career, I heard the some mothers have the opposite reaction to fenugreek, as in it actually decreases their supply, so I have always just avoided this one. However, a lot of nursing mamas swear by this stuff! So just be careful and let me know if it works for you 🙂
- Keep Your Baby on Your Breast – Seriously. Nurse more than you typically would in a day. Offer it even if you normally wouldn’t. The more stimulation your breasts get, the more milk they think they will need to produce. Remember that milk production is a supply and demand type deal.
- Try Adding Pump Sessions – If your baby is on a nursing strike, or doesn’t seem to want to nurse frequently because of teething, then try to pump if you can. I hate pumping, but your breasts need to be reminded that they need to produce milk so it’s one of those things that can’t be avoided if you’re in that predicament.
If you do any of these methods I can guarantee you will see some results. This last time, I just started doing a combination of a few of these methods and I saw results in just a day or two. Everything that I have read says that it just takes a few days to increase your supply.
I hope this helps and let me know if these methods work for you or if you have another great method to add to the list!